Friday, January 4, 2008

On being an artist

As far back as I can remember, I wanted to be an artist. The books I read for book reports were biographies and I spent endless hours thumbing through art magazines studying the reproductions. In college I majored in Printmaking and I liked the Sciences. To me the artist and scientist have something in common; they both are seeking the truth. Art needs to say something to someone to be of value. It's a way of connecting...having the artwork speak to people. We all are attracted to certain works of art for different reasons, sometimes it's the subject matter or the style, the brushwork, the lighting or the maybe it's the colors ...and then there is the art we love. Great paintings exist and have spoken to millions of people for a long, long time. As an artist, I have found that if I paint the truth, I will connect to the ones who will know it.

No comments: