Friday, September 11, 2009


Last night I was awakened by flickering light and voices, the house about 25 feet from my studio was on fire so here I was at 1:00am with a water hose spraying the studio down and watching the water turn to steam as it hit the clapboards of my precious home away from home. Finally the fire was put out by the firemen and after a shower to get out the smell of smoke I was back to sleep, then at 3:30am the house fire was back and this time even bigger and hotter, the oak tree started burning, ambers falling and me on my roof chasing each precarious spark. After 4:00 I was back in the shower hoping that the firemen really got it done this time because my patience for this episode in my life was saturated.The good news is that no one was hurt and I,m sure the neighbors had insurance.


Paintings by Irit Bourla said...

Thanks God that you and your studio are safe.
Happy painting, David.

Diana Marshall said...

Boy what a night you had, you are probably exhausted today. That's an experience one can do without!
Glad to hear that all is well with you and your studio.

Anonymous said...

A bit too close for comfort. Hope everyone and pets are OK. DO you have tin roofs in your part of Florida? Down in my old stomping ground of Key West our 100 year old wood cottage had a tin roof for that very! In fact all houses old and new in KW have tin roofs. What started it?

Sharon Wright said...

What a terrible night! So glad you are OK.

Cathyann said...

OMG! How could you sleep?
Glad that you are ok and your studio is intact and that no one got hurt. What a close call.